NEW BLOG

I have now finished this blog, if you'd like to continue to follow me please go to my new blog www.bridgetfarmer.blogspot.com.

Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Spotted Dove

I've been enjoying pigeons lately, drawings of them, prints of them and pigeons in real life. I have a book that shows a couple of paintings of chinese pigeons, apparently the artist made five volumes of paintings of just domestic pigeons! I'd love to get my hands on it. Here are a few examples.



I think it is funny how pigeons get such bad press, 'flying vermin,' 'rats with wings,' yet the symbol for peace and for love is a dove. But, a dove is a pigeon, just a bit prettier, they are all from the same family. Oh well!

Anyway, I decided to make a gocco print of one of my favourite little birds here in Australia. The Spotted Dove. They are quite common but always hide in laneways acting shifty, as soon as you come across them they flurry off as if they have been caught having a secret meeting. Either that or they are just shy.



3 comments:

Sarah said...

This print is great! I love pigeons (and my time at the bus stop is spent worring about them getting squished by a bus or kicked by a passer by, why do people feel the need to do that??) they have such personality, especially when the men pigeons try and woo the ladies :)

I'd love to see a copy of that book you spoke of too...

thetinylittlegirl said...

ooh love this!
i love pigeons, love the noise they make ;-)

Cate Lawrence said...

these are just adorable! I saw a pair of pigeons walking out of the work cafeteria the other day-bobbing along like they were just meant to be there, so funny!