NEW BLOG

I have now finished this blog, if you'd like to continue to follow me please go to my new blog www.bridgetfarmer.blogspot.com.

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Sticky Hands

My hands are all covered in dried glue and it's hurting the fine hairs on my wrists as I pull it off, though it is strangely addictive. My brother when he was little, attending playschool, used to  paint his hands with glue, or if that wasn't available, paint, and spend the rest of the day peeling it off. I'm not quite that bad and I have actually achieved something today.


I decided it was about time I tried to bind my Crow Story book. The components of it (the etched pages and the embossed front covers) have been sitting in my studio for a week or so, I've just been waiting for a day off work to buy some board. I'm now back down to 2 days a week in the gallery where I work, after working 4 days for the past month (didn't enjoy that) so I went to Dean's Art yesterday and bought all the things I needed and got down to it today.



As you can see the book is concertina style, but with a regular hard back cover. The cover is made from lovely black Hahnemulhe cotton rag paper which I embossed using a plate made from cut out pieces of card arranged in a feathery pattern.




The plate (below) looks like it is made from balsa wood, but that is just the layer of shellac painted over the card. I actually used the reverse side of the embossed prints in order to get the full wing effect, otherwise it would have been in relief. I have also made a number of embossed prints as pictures in both black and white. I like the effect.








7 comments:

Sue Brown said...

That is just a beautiful artifact, gorgeous.
XXX

Alex said...

Oh My!!! That book is so amazing and gorgeous. If you ever make any to sell, I'd definitly scoop one up.

jo horswill said...

Bridget...your "crow" book is gorgeous!
I would love to hold it.

You will exhibit this, I hope so :)

Had to laugh about your "sticky hands"...familiar territory :)

Bridget Farmer said...

Thank you for your comments! I've made this book as an edition of 5 and will hopefully have it for sale in my upcoming exhibition at Bird's Gallery in September. I'll probably also put it on etsy soon.

Pen said...

Wow, that looks incredibly neat-o!
(& I used to like peeling off candlewax...!)

myf said...

wow, what a great result.
don't you just love saying "shellac"
sounds better than crushed bug shells.

Unknown said...

Woow what a beautiful book you made!! I can't wait for your exhibition, I would love to touch it and interact. Looks so tactile.